On Nov 27, 2009, at 12:03, Stephan Jaensch wrote:

> Am 27.11.2009 um 11:15 schrieb Quim Gil:
>
>> - Do you want non-free apps showing up in
>> http://maemo.org/packages/repository/qa/fremantle_extras-testing/ ?
>>
>> - Do you want non-free apps showing up in
>> http://maemo.org/downloads/Maemo5/ ?
>
> I'm relatively new to the Maemo scene and am currently developing my first
> Maemo app using C++ and Qt. I have also played with Python and PyQt which is
> quite nice. Just wanted to take this opportunity to say hi to you all and
> give you my humble opinion on the matter. :)

Welcome!

> First of all, my viewpoint as a user: I want as many apps as possible.

There are tens of thousands of debian packages in stable alone.

> Choice is always good. I own an iPod Touch, and I can say with confidence
> that my criteria for selecting an app is always functionality, quality (hard
> to gauge since there is no "try before you buy", so I'm judging by user
> ratings for that) and price. As a user, I don't care about source code
> availability. One of the main reasons I chose Maemo/N900 instead of e.g. the
> Palm Pre is that there are almost no apps available for their WebOS platform
> even months after release.

One of the reasons for this is surely the fact that they _rejected_ free
software apps from their repos.

> As a developer, I want users to be able to get the app as easy as possible,
> delivering as high a quality as I can. So obviously I would want my app to be
> in extras-testing. But if that is not possible / not wanted by the community,
> appearing on downloads/Maemo5/ would still be important.
>
>> Testers with a strong opinion about open source might not be interested
>> at all on this, but other users might be indeed interested in becoming
>> betatesters of a non-free app in exchange of checking the lastest
>> versions some days/weeks before regular users get them in Ovi or elsewhere.
>
> I agree. I do understand that Maemo has a strong open source (or even free
> software) crowd. I am a big fan of open source myself. If people do not want
> non-free apps on their device, just don't add non-free to your sources.list.
> Problem solved. Same with QA. Nobody is forcing anybody to QA non-free
> packages, right? That doesn't mean that people who actually want to do that
> QA should be prevented from doing it.

It sounds good, but there are some question marks. Firstly, will anyone know
that it is free or non-free through the testing interface? But there are other
problems too which largely stem from mixing free with non-free applications.
Once this happens, it can be confusing to know where the line is - developers
start to use proprietary software thinking it is open. In fact recently we have
had situations where free software was in non-free and non-free software was in
free. So already we are seeing problems with the mixing together.

The consequences for Nokia can be non-trivial, it is them that a company like
Nintendo will sue, not a random free software developer in University. I see
problems with this sort of mixing both practical and philosophical.

Jeremiah