On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 15:07 +0000, Andrew Flegg wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 14:55, David Greaves <da...@dgreaves.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does the community really have so much spare resource that we can QA
> > non-free (and presumably non-community) apps?
>
> fms/RST38h's emulators are non-free. However much I'd prefer to have
> the source and not special case them, they are useful packages and the
> author's intention should be respected.
Yep - my 2nd para was about the balance.

> Whether they get highlighted in a different queue is an interesting
> question; but will probably push non-Ovi, non-free apps away into
> their own repositories.
Why? It's a different queue, not a different community.

> The point of community QA is to make sure only
> good apps get to users: we're doing it because we're selfish.
Yes.
>  It's not
> free bug finding for commercial software teams;
Agreed, the non-free apps you identified are non-commercial.

Do you see non-free apps which are commercial (eg crippleware needing an
email supplied EIN-keyed password or adware) going through the same
process?
Would that fail the Extras QA?
Why?
Would it fail a non-free queue's QA?

How do testers QA such (IMHO perfectly reasonable) applications? Should
the test process require a password for testers?

>  and so saying "we're
> only go to QA it for you if you give us the source" would seem to be a
> change in the purpose and intent of the QA process.
Fair, but some of us (and note that I've spent time testing RST38h's
"Master Gear" emulator) do and will continue to care about free rather
than no-cost.

Are you as a community member happy to QA a binary app from a polite and
well spoken community noobie without even having the *option* of
reviewing the source?
What if I'm not? Will it be obvious that there's no source for that app
(ie marked non-free) in the testing queue?

/me sees quite a bit of grey.

David