On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 14:55, David Greaves <da...@dgreaves.com> wrote:

> Does the community really have so much spare resource that we can QA
> non-free (and presumably non-community) apps?

fms/RST38h's emulators are non-free. However much I'd prefer to have
the source and not special case them, they are useful packages and the
author's intention should be respected.

Do I want him to go off and create a new repo? No. Is Ovi an
alternative? We don't know yet.

However, having tested earlier versions of VGBA, iNES and others, I
think I can say they went through the normal testing procedure,
despite being non-free.

The reason pre "-testing" they went directly to Extras was that there
was no point going through the auto-builder. Now, however, I think
they should be going directly into "-devel" and promoted into
"-testing" and Extras proper as per free packages.

Whether they get highlighted in a different queue is an interesting
question; but will probably push non-Ovi, non-free apps away into
their own repositories. The point of community QA is to make sure only
good apps get to users: we're doing it because we're selfish. It's not
free bug finding for commercial software teams; and so saying "we're
only go to QA it for you if you give us the source" would seem to be a
change in the purpose and intent of the QA process.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:and...@bleb.org  |  http://www.bleb.org/