Hi,

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Dave Neary <dne...@maemo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know I'm not the only one confused here...
>
> Quim says:
>
> And Jeremiah says:
> > Here is the relevant line that I believe X-fade added regarding this:
> > "There is no promotion available for non-free. You need to upload
> > yourpackage to the right repository yourself." When he states
> > 'promotion' he is referring to extras-testing.
>
> This directly contradicts what Quim said - either non-free packages
> bypass the extras-testing QA process, or they don't. Which is it?
>
> > It is preferable that we make sure the wiki reflects reality rather
> > than just changing things on the fly. This page;
> > http://wiki.maemo.org/Uploading_to_Extras-devel#.22non-free.22_packages
> > stated that non-free packages go through the same testing procedure
> > as free packages. This is not the case.
>
> I put this in place today, following Quim's mail. Previously it said
> "It's your responsibility to upload to the right place" or something
> like that.
>
> > Let's wait until Niels comes back so that he can explain exactly what
> > his code does, then we can decide if we want to change the policy.
>
> Perhaps part of Niels' tasks when he comes back should be to ensure that
> we don't need him to come back to explain what policy is? It seems like
> an awful lot of things depend on him being around.

Totally agree.

Here's a example of a non-free package:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_instance/view/fremantle_extras-devel_non-free_armel/fring/1.2.1.64-1

It seems to have a similar page structure to the other free apps on package
interface, don't know if there's a promotion button there(I'm not the
maintainer), but if no is because Neils disable it.

On a related topic is STILL possible to create a page at maemo.org and
insert a .install file pointing to a external repository, bypassing all the
Q&A Criteria (someone already did that :( ).

Best regards,

--
Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org