On 2022-10-19 10:30, Johann Haarhoff via mailop wrote:

On 2022-10-19 07:52, Slavko via mailop wrote:

For the record, while they might be going about it the wrong way, transparency is key to reputation.

If you obfuscate, or don't have an associated URL with the domain in the PTR records, it makes it hard for someone to contact the operator of the email server when there is a problem.

Is monitoring abuse@ and postmaster@ not enough? Are you really calling people up when you get spam from their networks? I'm not being facetious, I just don't know ... I run a few tiny mail servers so I don't get to see what the big guys have to deal with.

Actually, many helpful citizens might actually call the operator, if it is really a threat to the sending operator or their customers. And those helpful citizens know nothing about abuse@..

And of course, there are those of us in the industry that know how poorly those addresses are monitored.

But sometimes, you just want to know.. is jellybean.com a real company? If they don't have a website, am I likely to be able to reach someone to tell them their CEO has their email account compromised?

With no 'whois' any more (effectively) and many hosting companies still not offering 'rwhois', you need to be able to reach the operator.

You have to understand that email operators might only want to accept email from operators where they can effectively report problems to.

If you want to be accepted as a 'good netizen', then show you are responsible for what goes out onto the internet from your networks and servers. You roll the dice otherwise.

Expect more of this in the future.  While we all commiserate with those concerned about privacy, if you want to operate an email server in todays world, you should be willing to be openly responsible for that activity.

I hear your message, but I can't believe the only way out is to dox myself.

I don't think it is 'doxing' unless you are trying to hide ;)

I am not going to go into whether operating a service on the internet is a 'right' or a 'privelege', but coming into my home sure is..

And as someone else mentioned on this thread, the right to control who can enter/use my 'home', be that my house or a service I host on the internet will always be mine to make.

Simple, make it easy for me to decide if I should allow traffic from your server, eg.. is there a responsible party operating this service..

I only digress because you so politely said you were interested in knowing more, so I guess explaining how this isn't an unrealistic expectation from many operators out there, and I don't want to get into a flame war on this topic, or stretch it out any longer.

But stand up and be counted as a transparent and responsible email operator, and you will see that your reputation is rewarded.

'Nuff said?

PS, I just ran into a situation where I was trying to be helpful, and call a local Canadian operator when we saw their whole /22 being used for spam attacks and auth attacks. Their IP range did not have SWIP information, the provider refused to disclose who the client was, and they had PTR records that didnt' resolve to a website.. As a result, I am sure their business is being impacted, their customers are upset, and they might have spent many wasted hours figuring out what happened to their network. In reality, most people would not put in that amount of work, and the network would simple be blacklisted if no contact information is available..

And even spent too much time on this threat today as well, but if it helps make it a more transparent email world, it will also be a safer email world.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."