On 2022/10/19 20:37, Michael Peddemors via mailop wrote:
...snip...

If you want to be accepted as a 'good netizen', then show you are responsible for what goes out onto the internet from your networks and servers. You roll the dice otherwise.

Thank you for taking the time to type out a detailed reply to this, I can definitely understand your reasoning and I appreciate the fact that knowing more about the "other guy" makes it easier to decide whether to keep talking or not.

I don't think it is 'doxing' unless you are trying to hide ;)

Not so much trying to hide as trying to avoid abuse on my telephone. I was once a victim of someone dialing at all hours of the night and day, breathing into the phone, screetching etc. Police were unhelpful bla bla bla - only option was to change numbers.

W.r.t to t-online, I would've been OK to send them a telephone number that they could keep in their whitelist file in case of emergencies, but that obviously doesn't scale.

I only digress because you so politely said you were interested in knowing more, so I guess explaining how this isn't an unrealistic expectation from many operators out there, and I don't want to get into a flame war on this topic, or stretch it out any longer.

Thank you for answering the question in the spirit it was asked, I don't enjoy
flame wars either.

But stand up and be counted as a transparent and responsible email operator, and you will see that your reputation is rewarded.

Perhaps I'll have to register a little dummy company with a daytime voip line
in order to send email in the future.

PS, I just ran into a situation where I was trying to be helpful, and call a local Canadian operator when we saw their whole /22 being used for spam attacks and auth attacks.  Their IP range did not have SWIP information, the provider refused to disclose who the client was, and they had PTR records that didnt' resolve to a website.. As a result, I am sure their business is being impacted, their customers are upset, and they might have spent many wasted hours figuring out what happened to their network.  In reality, most people would not put in that amount of work, and the network would simple be blacklisted if no contact information is available..

This is an interesting anecdote, I had no idea.

Regards,

Johann