Moin,

on 19.10.22 13:33, Heiko Schlittermann via mailop wrote:
I'm not sure how to complain and where. But I hope that here we can
start a discussion again. I'm quite upset.

Personally I doubt any discussion on whatever mailing list would make Deutsche
Telekom change their mind about this. They practice this policy of reject
unless whitelisted for ages, literally, and obviously are quite happy with the
outcome.

Is this the new world?

Maybe, maybe not, see below.

(translation by me):
  Sorry, we only accept messages from proven
  commercial or similiar servers. Please use the SMTP relay of your hoster
  or your ISP.

This being Deutsche Telekom, I'm rather sure half a dozen of their lawyers did
look into this new modus operandi and ack'd it before it got implemented.

Although: According to https://postmaster.t-online.de/#t4.1, as this is an ISP's IP
address, one "just" needs to ensure that the domain leads to a website with an
imprint. This isn't followed here at all:

$ dig +short -x 168.119.159.241
mx01.poskantoor.de.
$ dig +short a mx01.poskantoor.de.
168.119.159.241
$ host poskantoor.de.
poskantoor.de mail is handled by 10 mx01.poskantoor.de.
poskantoor.de mail is handled by 20 mx02.poskantoor.de.
$ host www.poskantoor.de.
Host www.poskantoor.de. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
$ wget -O - https://mx01.poskantoor.de
[…]
<title>Welcome to nginx!</title>
[…]

If I'd spot that IP in my mail logs with errors, I'd block it at the IP level
right away.

I know that T-Online's postmaster announced this kind of behaviour, but
I didn't expect that they are going to implement it, as I saw enough
complaints here.

Well, it's discussed here and there every now and then — last time I'm aware of was a
month ago, over at DENOG. The main change is the wording of the manual reply. According
to their postmaster site, whitelisting is still possible, but the setup we're discussing
about doesn't even TRY to comply. So the question remains, is there a real change or did
they "just" get a more bullet-proof reply text from their lawyers? Has anyone
recently tried to whitelist one's sending IP in a setup that complies with their section
4.1?

Personally I consider this quite rude, and as a smaller ISP I'll be hit
sooner or later. As an Exim developer I'm asking myself why they
(T-Online) assume that I shouldn't run my own mail service.

Well, I do for 30+ years now, and I don't approve of Deutsche Telekom's
approach at all. If I become aware of such blockage, I usually block those
sender domains with their error code, pointing to their postmaster to fix
things.

Currently, mx*.t-online.de still let's my old IP deliver mails to them, but if
they ever stop this (as happens about every other year for whatever reason),
I'm basically done with them.

Regards,
-kai