In message <601b01c7-1475-32e0-5aba-e595272e9...@tnetconsulting.net>,
Grant Taylor via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> writes

>My concern is that Yahoo / AOL isn't creating an arbitrary "every domain
>must have an SOA record" and completely loosing sight of the fact that
>SOAs belong to the /zone/ apex and are not associated with /domain/s.

One more time ... I can see two people have already explained this
clearly, but perhaps three's a charm ?

The check is whether there is an SOA record for the domain used in the
RFC5321 MAIL FROM. If there is not, then a check is made for an SOA for
the administrative domain (using the DMARC approach to determining the
administrative domain which involves consulting the Public Suffix List).

So if you use a.b.c.tld then the check will be for an SOA for a.b.c.tld
(which in many cases would not exist) and then for an SOA on c.tld

What is turning out to be problematic for some people is that "tld" is
any entry on the PSL -- so, to take the recent example when the MAIL
FROM is a.b.c.or.us then because or.us is on the PSL then checks will be
made for an SOA at a.b.c.or.us and then for c.or.us

If it is problematic then as Marcel pointed out, the postmaster team at
Yahoo are pleased to help.

It does seem to me (viz: this is a personal opinion and not that of
$DAYJOB) that some entries have been put onto the PSL by people who do
not fully understand that they are declaring "treat this as a TLD"
without thinking through all of the implications for cookies, for DMARC
and for anyone who is trying to understand whether a domain exists or
has merely been invented by a spammer -- so that every email they send
can evade domain-based reputation systems.

--
richard                                                   Richard Clayton

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov 1755