On 5/19/10, CeJ <jann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>CB: No it is dead generations interacting with living generations. It
> is not the quantity but the quality of the interaction.  This allows
> way beyond three generations interacting.  Ancestor "worship". Kinship
> family trees with legendary ancestors being traced to with
> relationships. Kinship symboling would be a fuller statement.  Names
> are the critical human central characteristic.
>
> In the beginning was the Name.<<
>
> Until the advent of literacy, I have my doubts. If you could give some
> evidence and closely reasoned arguments, I might be otherwise
> persuaded.

^^^^^
CB: Maybe I should say Proper Names, to be clear. The evidence is in
hundreds of ethnographic and ethnohistorical studies of pre-literate
societies.  If I might call on my university study, I majored and
mastered in ethnology.  The principle can be found in any anthropology
basic text, like Conrad Kottak.  Kinship is the organizing and big
deal principle for all of "primitive" societies.  Names are obviously
central in kinship charts, family trees so to speak. Family names.
Tracing relationships through common dead ancestors is definitively to
use names critically. The meaning of "Name".

Kinship organizes all of hunting and gathering societies very
centrally. The conclusory statement by an expert can be found in
Marshall Sahlins' , particularly late chapters of _Culture and
Practical Reason_.  Kin relations organize marriage, economy ,
ceremony, there is no "polity" in pre-state society, etc.  So, kinship
, tracing relations through dead ancestors , organizes relations
between living people.

Any elementary anthro book will say this. It is a "law" of the stages
of development of human society. I think Engels recognized it in _The
Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State_.  I puts a
footnote in the first sentence of the _Manifesto of the Commnist
Party_ on a related point.

If you think about what I say above, it is both evidence and a very
tight argument. Ask me a question  if you don't see it.

^^^^^^^

 Instead I think what you get beyond 3 generations is
> degenerated information, myths, legends, stories of Abraham and Noah,
> etc. etc.

^^^^
CB:  No reason for all the information to be degenerated at all. The
details on how to make a ship or whatever can be in the story. Also,
in the case of Noah or Abraham, most of the stories and myths would
have been orallly passed on. Most of the people in that period were
uhh illiterate (smile). But  notice  even all the tracing of kin
relations in the Bible. So and so begot so and so begot so and so,
this is a literary trace of the importance of kinship in the
pre-literate societies.

And stories are exactly it. In a story can be passed on to unborn
generations how to make a wheel, how to make a stone axe, or the
habits of predators and prey , how to organize a hunt or gathering
socially ( brothers relate based on kinship in the hunt or in the
defense against a predator, say). Chimps don't have stories like that.
 Having a wheel or a stone axe is a big adaptive advantage over
whomever you might be competing with.   The wheel or how to make a
stone axe may be invented by some chimp genius, but if there is no way
to pass it on

Most of it imparting little real-world information.

^^^^
CB: Are you kidding ?  It is not very likely that the Bible has one
billionth of  the bits of information ( In 1960 Levi-Strauss' uses
structural linguistic concepts to demonstrate the information in the
binary opposition/base 2 computer sense, in primitive myths) of the
oral messages in stories , being passed around for the hundreds of
thousands of years of hunting and gathering kin based human society.

You should take a look at Levi-Strauss'  _ Les Pensees Sauvage_ and
_Mythologique_ .  Preliterate people living in the capitalist era have
expert biology and botany , i.e. science, based on "stories" and
"myths" as there main form of "library". These peoples are a shadow of
what probably existed over tens of thousands of years and going back
to the origin of the human species. It was not by luck, but
accumulated  real world information that we surivived those tens of
thousands of years.

Australian Aborigines are famous for having extremely complex kinship
systems, which they discuss abstractly , sort of like intellectual
institutions of a pre-literate society.

It is _accumulation_ of real world information, materialism, that
differentiates humans from other species.  Culture or tradition is the
accumulation of information across many, many more than three
generations.  Kinship is the central organizing principle of
pre-literate culture

Symboling,  Proper Names in the first place , is what allows passing
the informatino across the death barrier.

^^^^^^^

Getting