Mark Duncan writes:

> Let me de-lurk for just a moment to ask for help with something.  I just
> recently purchased a Pioneer Home Audio CD Recorder (like the Phillips
> product).  I thought I was getting ahead in this process, but found that one
> must purchase the "special" CD-ROMs at an inflated price to work in these units.
>
> I found an article on the internet that says standard recordable disks can be
> used, but there is a process that must be followed.... and the question I have
> is...
>
> Does anyone know what this process is?

By industry agreement, standalone audio CD recorders sold to consumers
will only record on special blanks which have royalty payments factored
into the cost. These discs are distinguished by having different Disc
Application Code bytes encoded into the pregroove information that is
STAMPED into the polycarbonate base. There is **NO WAY** for a consumer to
change this information.

The earlier Philips machines could be fooled by allowing the deck to
initialize on a Consumer Audio blank, physically pulling the drawer open,
swapping in a generic blank (hence the term "swap trick" that will come up
seventeen gazillion times if you search Dejanews), and pushing the
drawer closed manually.

The current Philips models have firmware modifications to prevent
recording and/or finalizing once a swap is detected.

The Pioneer consumer models, past and present, can be fooled too; but the
drawer cannot be simply pulled open manually. One must disassemble the
machine and wire in makrshift modifications to control the drawer motor
without the CPU knowing what is happening.

With the cost of Consumer Audio blanks well below $3 and falling, and the
wide range of inferior media that the Pioneer burners will use without
complaint, it really doesn't pay to do this anymore.