[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I think a sad time is approaching... I think my Sharp 701 is starting
> to fail. There are times that it will just stop playing audio and it
> will read for about half a minute and then continue.
>
> I know the 701 as a memory of 10 sec's and this is when the unit is
> not moving. I've put it in it's debug mode and I can watch the memory
> level, when it stops it just stops the the memory level quite high.
>
> Must make it clear that the unit doesn't sop playing it does
> eventually start again (exactly where it stopped). I was thinking
> about using a lens cleaner, but due to what people said here I decided
> not to!
>
> Anyone got an idea? It's a bloody pain 'cos I'm going on holiday soon.
> I might have to leave it about, and hope that someone strols off with
> it, then I'll claim on insurance. ;) Using the money for a 722 ;)
>
> Let me know, I don't want to have to have it nicked, but you never
> know.
>
> Peter -> Was it Ralph who starting this "->" thing off?
> --

Hmm, sounds to me like a laser-diode that starting to faint. How much did you
use your 701? Several hours a day?

As for the advise on a new unit? I'd stick to Sharp for the portable. Sony makes
good stuff, but I broke every Walkman I bought from them (low medium and
high-end) and wasn't very pleased with their portable CD-Player. I had good
experience with a Panasonic Walkman. And I love my 702.

I'd say go for the 722 or another equivalent unit.

Cheers,
Ralph -> Somebody has to defend Sharp against all the Phonys....
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE