You must  be a Sony engineer. <G>
 The point is, when a person is going to record, they should only have
to hit RECORD, and the END SEARCH should not even have a function in
record mode.

 99% of the time, when a person is recording something, they have no
intention of recording over the material they have already recorded.
Most companies are smart enough to recognize that and take it into
account, but not SOny.

finny wrote:

> On Sat, 27 May 2000, David W. Tamkin wrote:
>
> > But there was a second time that manual end search bit me, and it could have
> > happened while I still had no other MD hardware: I was doing some edits in
> > the R3 and, having completed them, wanted to eject the disc.  I missed the
> > EJECT slide and slid RECORD instead, ruining the first couple seconds that
> > followed the point of the last edit.  (On a unit with automatic end search,
> > that slip would have been non-destructive; it would have written into avail-
> > able space, and then I could simply have erased the accidental recording.)
> >
> > Now, who would have expected that?  Yes, I had read the manual, but all the
> > manual said was to press END SEARCH before appending new material; nowhere
> > did it say to press that key before ejecting a disc.
>
> Unless I am missing something, its seems to me that if you had hit eject
> like you intended to do, instead of record, there wouldn't be a problem.
> Why should the manual have instructions on "don't press RECORD instead of
> EJECT unless you have just hit END SEARCH"?
>
> fuzzymike

Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways