Mike wrote,

| Unless I am missing something, its seems to me that if you had hit eject
| like you intended to do, instead of record, there wouldn't be a problem.

There would still be a problem; it just wouldn't have happened to me.  I'm
not the only person whose finger can slip.

| Why should the manual have instructions on "don't press RECORD instead of
| EJECT unless you have just hit END SEARCH"?

It shouldn't.  Jeffrey's point was that ill effects from manual end search
occur only to users too presumptive or too lazy to read the manual, and mine
is that it causes problems that are not covered there.  Your observation that
that one wouldn't even *expect* to find them in the manual supports my argu-
ment.

Machinery prone to spontaneous recording and layouts prone to accidental re-
cording are bad ideas, but if they weren't compounded by manual end search,
they wouldn't be destructive.  I've an Aiwa AM-F70 with RECORD and EJECT laid
out similarly, but it has automatic end search; if I ever miss EJECT and
slide RECORD instead on it, I won't react with any words stronger than "oops."