Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 10:01:08 -0600
From: "Tom Hargrave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Cerberus wants money back
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

The big three have built smaller cars here in the states. They tried
repeatedly & we would not buy them. We wanted mid-size & larger cars from
American auto makers. One great example of this is Saturn, who built a long
line of smaller, efficient cars. Saturn is performing so dismally that its
one of the brands GM needs to can.

As far as legacy costs go, I suppose you also want us to cut all of our
military retiree benefits? Their retirement & medical benefits represent
much greater legacy costs to our economy than the auto workers retirement
benefits. But I guess it's OK with our armed forces because the cost is
hidden in the Federal Budget?

The only way to shed enough cost right now is to drop the retiree benefits
and that's not going to happen. Ironically, if this were 20 years later,
Toyota and Honda would be in the same position because their retiree base
will also be past their active employee base by then.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com
256-656-1924