-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Donald Snook
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 1:09 PM
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Cerberus wants money back

Tom wrote: "Also, the biggest customer quality complaints were issues like
squeaky brakes. Does this mean that the
Toyota & Nissan customers were more tolerant of these issues than GM & Dodge
customers were?"

I can say from experience that one reason Hondas have such a following is that
the most Honda owners Do all of the
suggested maintenance. It always amazed me when I was at the dealership, when a
nice 5 year old Accord would pull
in and say, I need the 30,000 (or 60 or 90,000) mile service and the service
writer would tell them - "okay that
package is $700 (or $1200 or more) and the owner would say, Ok whatever it
needs.

One of the attorneys in my office has a newer Nissan Altima.  He had 60,000
miles on his car. So, he brought it up
to the Dealer. They showed a list of maintenance items that needed to be done -
total cost - over $1000.  He
brought me the sheet and said, I guess I have to get this done, Its on the
maintenance schedule.  They had told him
these were the items that Nissan REQUIRED the owner to do.  So, I went online
and printed the ACTUAL maintenance
schedule from the company website.  They have three "schedules"

Schedule 1 is lots of highway driving and little city, no towing, no dusty
roads etc.  Schedule 2 is severe duty.
City driving, duty roads, short trips etc.  Then Schedule 3 was Nissan Premiere
Service.  In very small letters, it
said these items are not required and not mandatory. They represent Nissan's
recommendations for premiere service.
These services will prolong the life of your Nissan and represent the best
maintenance program for your car.

Of course, it was horseshit. The severe duty schedule said 100,000 miles for
transmission service, 150,000 miles
for coolant flush, and all sorts of other things. The dealer had taken the
"recommended premiere service" and was
calling it the required service.

I called up and talked to the service manager and he apologized and offered to
do ONLY the severe duty service. AND
HE DID it for free - only charge $35 for oil change and rotate and balance
tires.

Donald H. Snook