Tom wrote: "Also, the biggest customer quality complaints were issues like
squeaky brakes. Does this mean that the Toyota & Nissan customers were more
tolerant of these issues than GM & Dodge customers were?"

I can say from experience that one reason Hondas have such a following is that
the most Honda owners Do all of the suggested maintenance. It always amazed me
when I was at the dealership, when a nice 5 year old Accord would pull in and
say, I need the 30,000 (or 60 or 90,000) mile service and the service writer
would tell them - "okay that package is $700 (or $1200 or more) and the owner
would say, Ok whatever it needs.

One of the attorneys in my office has a newer Nissan Altima.  He had 60,000
miles on his car. So, he brought it up to the Dealer. They showed a list of
maintenance items that needed to be done - total cost - over $1000.  He brought
me the sheet and said, I guess I have to get this done, Its on the maintenance
schedule.  They had told him these were the items that Nissan REQUIRED the
owner to do.  So, I went online and printed the ACTUAL maintenance schedule
from the company website.  They have three "schedules"

Schedule 1 is lots of highway driving and little city, no towing, no dusty
roads etc.  Schedule 2 is severe duty. City driving, duty roads, short trips
etc.  Then Schedule 3 was Nissan Premiere Service.  In very small letters, it
said these items are not required and not mandatory. They represent Nissan's
recommendations for premiere service.  These services will prolong the life of
your Nissan and represent the best maintenance program for your car.

Of course, it was horseshit. The severe duty schedule said 100,000 miles for
transmission service, 150,000 miles for coolant flush, and all sorts of other
things. The dealer had taken the "recommended premiere service" and was calling
it the required service.

I called up and talked to the service manager and he apologized and offered to
do ONLY the severe duty service. AND HE DID it for free - only charge $35 for
oil change and rotate and balance tires.

Donald H. Snook