Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:13:22 -0700
From: tyler <casi...@usermail.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Great car but it needs a motor
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Well, were they done properly? There's no inherent reason why a wagon
wouldn't handle fine with a regular rear suspension. I'd be willing to
bet that most of these conversions use stock sedan springs/shocks from a
junkyard, which aren't stiff enough for a wagon. If I were going to do
the swap I would cut the sedan springs down and add an aluminum spacer
to get the correct ride height and spring rate, and get rear shocks that
are valved properly for the increased rear weight (Bilstein will revalve
their shocks cheaply). This would certainly be a lot cheaper and easier
than replacing an engine- and would allow one to customize the spring
and shock rate for the way they use their wagon. There's also a good
chance that an aftermarket spring company somewhere makes the correct
springs for this conversion.

Other options that would work well are nivomat self contained leveling
shocks, and air bags in the springs.

I'm annoyed that people on here mostly parrot what Marshall said without
understanding the context.

Tyler