Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:13:22 -0700
From: tyler <casi...@usermail.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Great car but it needs a motor
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Well, were they done properly? There's no inherent reason why a wagon wouldn't handle fine with a regular rear suspension. I'd be willing to bet that most of these conversions use stock sedan springs/shocks from a junkyard, which aren't stiff enough for a wagon. If I were going to do the swap I would cut the sedan springs down and add an aluminum spacer to get the correct ride height and spring rate, and get rear shocks that are valved properly for the increased rear weight (Bilstein will revalve their shocks cheaply). This would certainly be a lot cheaper and easier than replacing an engine- and would allow one to customize the spring and shock rate for the way they use their wagon. There's also a good chance that an aftermarket spring company somewhere makes the correct springs for this conversion.

Other options that would work well are nivomat self contained leveling shocks, and air bags in the springs.

I'm annoyed that people on here mostly parrot what Marshall said without understanding the context.

Tyler