I have long been an advocate of Apple's refurbs. My 15" MacBookPro is  a refurb
that I bought for several hundred (if not more) off the new price.

You can buy a previous generation machine as a refurb and save a substantial
amount of coin in the process.

Only difference with a refurb from a new is the packaging. A refurb comes in a
plain cardboard box rather than retail packaging. Other than that, everything
is exactly the same as a new machine. Same accessories, inserts, cables, etc.

And refurbs are treated as new equipment, so they have the same warranty and
are eligible for AppleCare as well.

As both my MBP and 20" iMac are only CoreDuo processors, I will probably be
looking to buy replacements in the next year or so. Those will be refurbs when
the time comes, too.

MacDan

Sent from my iPhone