My local dealer, MB of Tampa, has two different list prices. "Consumer list",
which is for the typical walk in customer. This is somewhere around 1.5-2x
MBUSA list. Then they have "wholesale list" which is the "real" MBUSA list
price they discount off of for wholesale and trade accounts.

I typically get 20% off of wholesale list, although this can vary depending on
the type of part. Even when it is different, it's usually a higher discount, as
with things like coolant.

Having been in the service business both in manufacturing and distribution, I
am all too well acquainted with "list" prices and discount structures. It seems
like (in this case, at least) that an artificial list price has been created to
not only increase profit but also to give the consumer the idea that they are
getting a deal.

Dan