'Nother ATTABOY!

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Rear brake calipers

I have two dealers in relatively close proximity to me, however, I have only dealt with one of them.

I don't think their pricing strategy is a whole lot different from any other dealer in the sense that they are going to exploit the consumer as long as they can get away with it. It's the nature of the business, I think.

That being said, if one asserts themselves and asks for a better price, I firmly believe you will get it. Case in point:

I frequent the local Ford dealer for the Focuses that are/were in the family. Nothing special, the occasional repair and regular "FastLane" oil changes and tire rotations for $24.

The youngest is driving my former Focus wagon, and reported a possible bad rear wheel bearing. The part, which can be bought as a complete assembly consisting of the brake drum, hub, and bearing, runs around $109 list from the dealer, pretty much the same from FLAPS. So I checked and the dealer had one on the shelf, so I stopped to pick it up on the way home.

The parts manager was overseeing a new employee on the counter, who, despite his best efforts, screwed up my invoice for $109 several times. They both offered apologies for the mistake, which I blew off and assured them that I didn't mind at all, and was more than willingly be a guinea pig of sorts for this young man to learn the job.

While small talking with the parts manager I mentioned that I had been in the service and parts business for 20 years and knew how important it was to have well trained employees. At that point I asked him that as a long time customer if I could be provided a discount on parts, as I would rather buy from them than FLAPS.

So the manager is looking over the computer as the new counter guy is doing my invoice for the umpteenth time and is telling him, "No, not that - change it to this" or something to that effect.

I get the invoice and the total is something like $84. Now I get wholesale pricing at Ford, too.

Sometimes you just have to ask.

Dan

Sent from my iPad