On Thu, 18 May 2000, Drew Taylor wrote:

> Doug MacEachern wrote:
> >
> > personally, i'd like to see Apache::HTML for generating html, written in
> > c.  something simple along the lines of HTML::AsSubs, then another class
> > to glues it and Apache::Request together that provides CGI.pm features,
> > like 'sticky forms'.  but, i haven't given that much thought.
> Well, I wouldn't mind doing it in C (since the raison d'etre is to be as
> absolutely fast & lean as possible), but I don't know C. :-(

i suggest that most applications are going to find their
bottlenecks somewhere besides simple html widget generation.

it should be extremely straightforward, if maybe a bit time
consuming, to write very simple, vanilla perl widget
routines. that avoid the bloatfest of CGI.pm and that don't
use the most esoteric features of perl like hTML::AsSubs.

i think we all know that form controls are the important
widgets. i challenge anyone to prove to me that you need a
routine to wrap your string in <b> tags.

i do think that doug's separation of responsibilities into
classes is the right one. your widget toolkit probably
shouldn't be named Apache::HTML tho, unless it's actually
using the apache api in some fashion.