At 09:50 AM 5/26/00 -0400, Drew Taylor wrote:
>Jason Bodnar wrote:
> >
> > Probably the best way to learn good OO Perl is to learn Java or C++. As
> > Gunther said, other languages are much more strict so they force you to
> > write good OO stuff. I had been programming with Perl 4 before Java came
> > out and had never done any OO stuff. I actually argued against OO with a
> > friend. I tried to learn Perl OO but it didn't click. I taught myself Java
> > since it was the cool thing to do and then went back to Perl OO. I think my
> > Perl OO is better from knowing Java first.
>That is an interesting observation, but it makes perfect sense. I've
>been reading a bit here and there about Java, so I guess this is one
>more reason to finish "Thinking in Java".

I would agree that Bruce's book (Thinking in Java) is excellent as it was
developed as an open source text incorporating and evolving over a year of
comments before being published.

> > Definitely read the perltoot (Tom's OO Tutorial). I've heard alot of good
> > things about Damian Conway's OO Perl book but I haven't read it myself. The
> > advanced perl programming book has a nice section on OO. But, learning OO
> > in a Java or C++ context would probably be the best way to start.
>I'll third Damian's book. It is clear, concise, and VERY informative. It
>has helped me (with no formal programming background) tremendously in
>learning OO Perl and OO in general. A Must Read IMHO.

Wasn't going to respond, but I figured I would 2nd the Java one... So I
guess I 4th the Damien Conway book as well.

Later,
   Gunther
Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Extropia - The Web Technology Company