On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Ben Thompson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 09:32:41AM -0800, brian moseley wrote:
> >
> > if you really feel the need to compete with php in the
> > lowest tier web app space, you need to make simplicity your
> > #1 goal. php is awesome entry level technology, and i almost
> > always recommend it over perl to people who only have the
> > desire to do casual programming for personal sites and small
> > projects. and that's a significant percentage of the people
> > i know doing web programming.
>
> Actually, PHP's advantage is that you can install it and all 250 sites
> on that machine can use it without problems. You just can't do that
> sanely under mod_perl.

Being in the webhosting industry, and running modperl-space.com, I'd
suggest that this really is an issue... even for the hobbyist discussed
earlier it's non-trivial to get a semi-serious mod-perl site online... the
gap between running it off your cable modem at home and a dedicated server
at a co-location facility is pretty big...

our standard PHP configuration is CGI based, which gives us all
the suexec benefits, and process count/size/cpu limiting by
userid etc...  for folks that go beyond php-cgi, we can go to
mod_php, but it's rare... with mod_perl, there is no half step
unless you want to call it perl-CGI ... and even then we all know
the troubles of taking CGI/run-once PERL into a persistant
environment...