From: Steve Hay <steve.m....@googlemail.com>
Sent: Thursday, 18 March 2021 9:06 PM
To: Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Cc: Adam Prime <adam.pr...@utoronto.ca>; mod_perl list <modperl@perl.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 05:07, Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com> wrote:

> Longer response here.
>
> So I'm happy to be another active PMC member still involved. As
> someone with a growing family, my time is limited, but not too much to
> review and lend a +1 or feedback. I think that may be the case for a
> few of the folks on this list. I'd like to see Steve Hay lead the
> future of mod_perl project as I know a lot of the old guard have
> personal duties now that take precedence.

Thanks Fred and Adam for stepping up. I'm happy to keep pushing out new
releases as necessary, and also providing Win32 builds of them, and filing the
reports too if Philippe is no longer around to do that, but all my experience
is on Windows, so I'm limited in what I can achieve. I also don't have that
much knowledge of the guts of mod_perl, though I am a full-time C/C++ developer
so am capable of getting into it more if required.

I'm only really talking about bug fixing and general maintenance duties
(hopefully fixing any security issues and other bug reports, and keeping up
with the latest Apache/Perl changes). I'm not actively doing any development,
and if big changes are required for a new Apache/Perl release then we could
come unstuck. For the Apache 2.4 change there were quite a few changes
necessary, and we were fortunate that other developers stepped in to assist
(notably Torsten Foertsch and Jan Kaluza). If similar large-scale changes are
required again in the future then we are somewhat dependent on gaining
assistance again, especially where anything Unix/Linux-specified is involved.

Even now we have a build-breaking issue with the upcoming perl 5.34.0 release,
which I'm not certain of a fix for. See
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r515522504d5245f83488c096832419950d6d6e93e9ff11f55055953e%40%3Cdev.perl.apache.org%3E
Things look okay so far on Windows, but I'm not able to test anything on other
OSes so the other MPMs haven't been tried at all. We do really need someone
able to do something similar to what I'm doing but on Unix/Linux, otherwise
we're in danger of ending up with things being broken there.