On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 05:07, Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com> wrote:

> Longer response here.
>
> So I'm happy to be another active PMC member still involved. As
> someone with a growing family, my time is limited, but not too much to
> review and lend a +1 or feedback. I think that may be the case for a
> few of the folks on this list. I'd like to see Steve Hay lead the
> future of mod_perl project as I know a lot of the old guard have
> personal duties now that take precedence.

Thanks Fred and Adam for stepping up. I'm happy to keep pushing out
new releases as necessary, and also providing Win32 builds of them,
and filing the reports too if Philippe is no longer around to do that,
but all my experience is on Windows, so I'm limited in what I can
achieve. I also don't have that much knowledge of the guts of
mod_perl, though I am a full-time C/C++ developer so am capable of
getting into it more if required.

I'm only really talking about bug fixing and general maintenance
duties (hopefully fixing any security issues and other bug reports,
and keeping up with the latest Apache/Perl changes). I'm not actively
doing any development, and if big changes are required for a new
Apache/Perl release then we could come unstuck. For the Apache 2.4
change there were quite a few changes necessary, and we were fortunate
that other developers stepped in to assist (notably Torsten Foertsch
and Jan Kaluza). If similar large-scale changes are required again in
the future then we are somewhat dependent on gaining assistance again,
especially where anything Unix/Linux-specified is involved.

Even now we have a build-breaking issue with the upcoming perl 5.34.0
release, which I'm not certain of a fix for. See
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r515522504d5245f83488c096832419950d6d6e93e9ff11f55055953e%40%3Cdev.perl.apache.org%3E
Things look okay so far on Windows, but I'm not able to test anything
on other OSes so the other MPMs haven't been tried at all. We do
really need someone able to do something similar to what I'm doing but
on Unix/Linux, otherwise we're in danger of ending up with things
being broken there.