Dear Jeremy,

I really like the way that you described the artistic process. It seems that perhaps our most fulfilled and fulfilling moments are those when we become the instruments by which a perfect but not-yet incarnate creation uses our talents to complete the process. And when we allow ourselves to become a part of the process without prejudice, without a specific desire, and without limiting ourselves to only conceivable outcomes (which are always restricted by our own imaginations), a thing of pure beauty and pure quality results. It reminds me of the story of the Zen archer, who only excels when he realizes that it is the arrow that must shoot itself.

The Bard
----- Original Message -----
From: Jeremy Guy
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2001 5:54 AM
Subject: Re: MD Pure Quality!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2001 3:34 PM
Subject: MD Pure Quality!

This brings me to the crux of this post. It seems that while their are many types of dynamics at work in the universe, the only ones that are truly "Pure Quality" events are the ones that happen with a disregard for outcome and no intentional campaign for the resources to succeed. I look forward to the support or constructive criticism by my colleagues in this discussion group..

The Bard

Hi Bard,
A heart of the matter post. Just a quick reply. Something which a wise tutor told me which seemed relevant. He said (towards the end of my three years of study) " when you leave here forget everything you've been taught... it'll do *you* no good".
I know when something dynamic has happened when I sculpt. Its unexpected and I never feel responsible for what is in front of me. Its a peculiar feeling and I've caught myself extolling the virtues of a piece of work and suddenly realised how big headed it might seem to others. But its just that feeling that *I* was not the creator, it just happened, like finding something really beautiful in the arrangement of a pile of randomly fallen leaves.
I think the emphasis should have been on the good.
I'd love to ramble but I've lot's to do, perhaps its for the best?

Jeremy