*de-lurk*

Hi Bard & All,

This is the caveat of human "truth", the apparent paradox which lies at the
core of any highly complex system, be it a spiritual movement, a social
structure, a corporation, a subatomic microdomain, a universe,...A MIND,...

I say "apparent" paradox because IMO ALL of the factors which interact to
give rise to any such system ARE there to be found, but to KNOW them ALL,
one's mind would have to encompass everything for all eternity.  One would
have to BE the universe...BE GOD.  Or be Quality, if you prefer, as I do.
Ironically, once you ARE God, the question is irrelevant! The universe does
not need to "know how" to use supernovas to create the atoms needed for
creating life, it just DOES IT!
If I do not KNOW how to convert proteins into cells, am I going to drop dead?
No, I just do it...neat trick too...watch me now...Ta Da! (APPLAUSE)
Thank you, thank you...no, don't ask me to give away the secret, just be
amazed.

Unfortunately, we humans have an overriding biological need to experience
some degree of "closure" in our daily functioning, and perhaps this is why
the "absolutes", and black and white "clarity" of Subject/Object
Metaphysics is so infuriatingly enticing. Ironically, as (relatively)
finite beings, at this level of intellectual evolution, the only real
"closure" we can hope for without resorting to outright self-delusion is to
develop the habit of accepting that we cannot know ANYTHING with ABSOLUTE
certainty. Our logic is necessarily more "finite" than WE are!  We may be
able to "BE Quality" only to the extent that we are able to learn to let
ourselves BE.  HERE.  NOW.

As thinking beings (or so we think) our perception of "paradox" in reality
is due only to our finite-ness.

For those of you who find these dizzying puzzles to be all consuming,
please remember--every once in a while, at least--to put out your
cigarrette, get up, and go to the bathroom!

HOFSTADTER (Douglas R.,):
        "Achilles: ...In this state, one does not think about the world--one
         just IS.  I have also learned that a student of Zen is not supposed to
         "attach" to any object or thought or person--which is to say, he must
         not believe in, or depend on, any absolute--not even this philosophy
         of nonattachment.
         Tortoise:  Hmm...Now THERE'S something I could like about Zen.
         Achilles:  I had a hunch you'd get attached to it."
        (GEB, P. 232)

DRH is God. :-)
End ramble.

Bestest,