I find Webster's dictionary invaluable when sorting out such questions of
language. The primary definition of consciousness does not distinguish it
from awareness, but subsequent definitions use the word "awareness" as an
indicator of consciousness. It has been my (subjective) experience that one
does not have to be mentally conscious to be "aware" of something happening,
i.e. in a dream. Conversely, one need only ride a motorcycle in heavy
traffic to realize that the conscious state of fellow motorists in no way
implies any real awareness of what they are doing.

I want to take issue with these statements offered by Platt and Elephant:
> > You do recognise don't you, that a pattern of DQ is a 'contradiction in
> > terms'?  Since after all DQ being continuous can't be divided into any
> > threads to be woven and patterned together.
> >
> > I am glad to concur on that, but we need to take it a stage further:
> > SUBJECTS are also patterns of value.

That is such a touchy distinction! I believe, when we designate a human
being as the SUBJECT in question, that the term "pattern of value" cannot be
confined to the static state. While it is true that some humans seem to be
very eager to achieve some static pattern of value and not proceed any
further from there (mindsets), most human subjects exhibit a preference for
dynamic quality to enable them to move beyond established static patterns
towards something "better". But does this make our human subject a pattern
of dynamic value? I don't think so, but I can't articulate exactly why.
Perhaps this is where some of you folks can help me?

Cheers,
Gary