Hi all,

  The funny characters are due to problems with "encoding". Microsoft is
supporting the move towards "Unicode" which will give a wide capability to
uniquely represent thousands of characters rather than the traditional ASCII
character set.

Till now, however, each character code is interpreted to the specified
character set. If the character set has not been explicitly defined, a default
is used.

What often happens is that the sending software doesn't create the proper
header.
Also, some mail readers and browsers can't properly interpret the headers when
it is given. In my own hands, I find that the latest version of Microsoft's
Outlook Express (version 5.5) handles encoding issues quite well.

Jonathan