BUT, Renee, I think there are most definitely WRONG WAYS to teach. And some
teachers really do not know the right ways. It isn't usually their fault...but
 we ALL know they are out there.

I am thinking that it is our responsibility as professionals to build up,
not only our own knowledge base but those of our colleagues. I don't believe
programs are the answer...but yet I do not see our country has any systematic
way for teachers to improve their craft. I can understand, on a level, why
administrators want to try to ensure some level of expertise through providing
teachers with a program. It is wrong-headed...it penalizes the teachers who DO
have the expertise and really does little, in the end to improve the
knowledge  of those teachers who do need help. But what else is there?

In working on my literature review for a possible dissertation research
study on lesson study, I have been reading a great deal about what happens in
Japan. Professional development begins at the school level. Teachers' desks are

not in classrooms, but in a common area to encourage dialogue between
teachers.  Teachers are given time to dialogue with each other...in fact it is
expected.  Teachers regularly engage in lesson study, not with every lesson,
but with
 several lessons a year...they plan together...watch each other teach and
then  revise the lesson and reteach.  While some great lessons evolve from this

process (in fact, Japanese text book companies draw from these great  lessons
developed by teachers and include them in their new editions), the great
power and benefit comes from the process rather than the product. Teachers
develop a strong knowledge of what kinds of misconceptions their students might
 be
expected to have when content knowledge is presented in a certain way. They
work together to develop great manipulatives that overcome student
misconceptions. They develop "an eye to see children" (Catherine Lewis).
Japanese
teachers who are avid readers of American constructivist experts,  particularly
in
math and science, have revolutionized the way they teach math  and
science...but it didn't come from above. It came from the  practitioners...and
worked up
to the policy makers.

Ellin, you talk about teachers not having time to read research. I think we
need to change that paradigm. What if the teachers WERE the researchers? What
if  we deliberately took an inquiry approach at the school level and worked as
 teachers to figure out what would work for our schools and our students?
There would be tremendous power for positive change generated by that approach.

To me, that is what leadership in literacy requires....we must build capacity
in  the teachers and then let them do the work they are trained to do!

We can complain all we want about programs...but what are we doing as a
profession to ensure that our teachers have the content knowledge and
pedagogical
skill to be able to make effective decisions for children?

That is a rhetorical question, of course, but one worth consideration by  the
great minds on this listserv. One thing we all do from participation on this
listserv, is build content knowledge regarding the teaching of comprehension.
We  get newbies here on this list all the time, wanting to get started and
needing  information about how to go about effective comprehension instruction.
We can  feel good that we are helping our fellow professionals to improve
their teaching  when we dialogue on comprehension strategies.

Jennifer

In a message dated 2/22/2009 1:52:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,