What is the Learning Pad site?  Our school just started Writing Workshop
(Lucy Calkins).  So have seen significant results in the 4th grade.  We had
69.2 % score 7 - 12 points in the writing.  Usually the students score no
more that 5 - 6 points.  That's great for our school.  Have not achieved
that before!

b 20, 2009 at 4:59 PM, <teach2h...@aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 2/20/2009 12:23:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> mosaic-requ...@literacyworkshop.org writes:
>
> think scripts have a place for some teachers especially if
>
> Just food for thought:)  Did any of us in our journey through learning how
> teach comprehension strategies and transforming our classrooms into
> literate
> rich communities ever use "Debbie Millers script"?  "Did you say over and
> over
> again "So, how did that help you as a reader?" so many times that you felt
> it
> was a recording?  Possibly, but I bet you moved on to even deeper
> conversation. You moved on with your readers and where they were in their
> journey.  I
> sure did use those scripts and sometimes still do. . .  especially when
> something
> is still new to me.    But, I am a thinking teacher and appreciate Debbie
> and
> Lucy's  words as a model and use them until they become comfortable and
> become my own versions. . .  until I am able to move past them and mold my
> own
> words according to the readers I  am with and their needs. Thank you so
> much Lucy
> for giving me the "think about reading worker script I love to use!  Thank
> you
> so much to the "Learning Pad" site that has some wonderful scripting.  I
> did
> not think of any of these great ideas, but used the ideas to aide my own
> understanding and thinking.   Do we not provide scripts for our own readers
> in our
> classroom as we model conversations in reader's share each day?
>  Eventually,
> they are asking these same questions of others and more importantly of
> themselves when they think about their thinking.  "Scripts" can have their
> place in
> learning. Starting with a script of some sort doesn't mean one is going to
> rely
> on them always but is just using it as a jumping point. Some may not ever
> need
> them, some may.   Just my thoughts.
>
> Cynthia Hart
> Lexington