On Nov 5, 6:18 pm, "Bill Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just compiled and linked again from a fresh session on sage.math and
> the result is the same.
>
> I can only guess that something is wrong on the amd64. Either that, or
> the most recent version in the copy of the svn repo that I have is not
> the most up-to-date. However I doubt the latter due to the fact that
> those warning messages come up during the compile. They should be
> harmless, as the linking seems to go ahead just fine.
>
> Bill.
>
> 2008/11/5 Cactus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>

> > On Nov 5, 5:03 pm, "Bill Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Here are the times:
>
> >> Bit Size  Magma eMPIRe+ eMPIRe-
> >> 2000000 1.500s 26.915s 35.497s
> >> 1000000 0.610s 5.794s   7.527s
> >> 500000   0.240s 1.440s   1.864s
> >> 250000   0.090s 0.312s   0.360s
> >> 100000   0.020s 0.040s   0.052s
> >> 50000     0.010s 0.012s   0.012s
>
> >> I begin to not believe the Magma times.
>
> >> SVN is not back up. Well it is locally for me, but I know nothing at
> >> all about apache, so I do not know how to start up the apache modules
> >> so everyone else can access it.
>
> >> Bill.

> > I have just tried the equivalent of Bill's code in Mathematica 6 with
> > a, b and c containing 2,000,000 bits each and the GCD is computed in
> > 2.1 seconds on my dual core 2.2GHz Intel based laptop.  Since
> > Mathematica uses my Windows GMP port without the new GCD code, Bill's
> > timings look to be a factor of 15 higher than I would expect from MPIR
> > (assuming a similar machine).  I cannot quickly put the MPIR DLL under
> > Mathematica as I am not on my development machine right now but it
> > does seem that something has gone wrong - unless, of course, I am
> > wrongly interpreting Bill's timings.
>
> >    Brian

I have just confirmed Bill's timings and it is clear that we are not
gaining full advantage from the new GCD code in eMPIRe.

I have checked out the changes that Jason made to add this code and I
have found one thing that he didn't do - our gmp_h.in does not include
the definitions of the interfaces to the new GCD routines that are in
Niels Möller's modified gmp_h.in.

Also, looking at Niels Möller's speed test code, I am inclined to
think that the new code either has to be called directly to get the
speed gain OR the existing GMP routines have to be modified to call
these new routines.  I don't think that simply adding the new routines
alone is sufficient alone unless they are called directly (however I
am not sure about this as I have only just started to look at it)..

  best regards,