* On 2002.04.11, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
*       "Simon White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 11-Apr-02 at 12:55, Ian Chilton ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote :
> > > Sorry, no. Mailing lists are mailing lists.
> > > Participation is expected, not
> > > just one way communication.
> >
> > Actually, the custom is to reply to the person and CC to the list :-)
>
> Not on this list, if I take precedents I have seen from other members to
> be the netiquette for this list...

begin 755 soapbox
I haven't noticed this list to be different from any other in this
regard, except that Sven is rabid about this topic and posts to this
list a lot.

The sweeping convention over all I've ever seen is to reply to the list
and to the poster. If the poster doesn't like that, the poster can
use duplicate ID processing, or MFT headers, or whatever to evade the
duplicates -- but in any case, it's not divine manifest never to cc:
the poster.

Moreover, I'm not sure how custom on a particular list means that you
shouldn't cc: a person who asked to be cc:ed. If this were a different
list, you would cc: him upon request?

The reasons for wanting to be copied are several (or many), and are not
limited to "I'm not on the list" -- which would, IMO, be sufficient
reason to comply anyway.

I don't particularly want to harp on it any more than usual, but I had
to take exception to the idea that this list is different from others.

end

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago