On Sunday 08 December 2002 11:15, greg wrote:

> When installing Mandrake, I have selected (when setting up
> net/internet) the ethernet option, and selected bootp/dhcp instead of
> entering any details.  This is how Red Hat is configured (ethernet
> connection/dhcp) and works no probs.  After this, booting into MK9,
> internet does not work.  When it is booting, the detection of eth0
> fails.  Running ifconfig in MK9, shows up only the "lo" details, and
> eth0 is not running.  As a result, obviously no connection.  Does not
> matter how many different ways I configure the connection through the
> wizard, it still does not work, even when I select ADSL, and choose
> DHCP..... If I run ifup eth0, it fails.  When I run 'ifconfig eth0
> -pointopoint 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0', it brings eth0 up, but
> still does no good, and when I run the internet wizard, if knocks
> eth0 out, and puts it down again.  Just one more note, this last time
> of installing mandrake, I installed only the minimum (980mb something
> isntall, for a basic internet system, with gnome and kde) just incase
> something else being installed was interferring with the device.

Try another card from another manufacture, but with the same chipset, if
it still wont work, then try disabling DHCP (DHCP is satans work, if
you ask me) and see if it helps. Remember to disable DHCP in your
router as well.

I use all static IP's on my LAN and all is working like a charm allways.
Many friends tend to use DHCP but they all have problems once in a
while. I don't see the trick using dynamic IP's through DHCP, when it's
not nessecary (and when is it that?)

Third... if it aint working still... try another PCI-bus. You might have
a conflict. I had that problem once. I moved the card, and all was a
bliss.

--
Martin L. Johansen
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)