Dennis,
these are the settings used right accross all my systems, windows and
red hat included, as well as windows 98 downstairs.  They all work fine
and fast, so I don't know. Maybe you have a different setup.  This
modem/router has all the relevant details to access my provider in it,
i.e isp 150.101.208.30, and netmask 255.255.0.0, as well as all other
info including my password for accessing the isp, and user name.  The
info here is only for the system to access the modem, the modem does the
rest.  So I think this is where we differ in the info required to access
the net.

thanks Greg