On Sunday 08 December 2002 12:54, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I have a table set up on my router with static IP addresses.  All the
> machines use those static addresses, except the laptop which is set
> to get an address from the router.  The router  has a fixed address
> to offer that login, so it works as though it is completely using a
> static address, but avoids the problem of the laptop being elsewhere
> and causing conflict by having a static address set.
>
> It sounds crazy to mix and match like this, but seems to cause no
> problem. I would certainly recommend static addressing.  The main
> argument for dhcp in small lans seems to be anonymity on the Internet
> - but your router's giving you that.

Exactly.

> > Third... if it aint working still... try another PCI-bus. You might
> > have a conflict. I had that problem once. I moved the card, and all
> > was a bliss.
>
> Well worth a try.  Maybe a conflict, and sometimes some slots just
> don't seem to work smoothly, or seem to be picky with playmates.

That was what I found. MDK nor the BIOS was telling me all was fine and
Windows (yak) worked like a charm, but MDK just wouldn't configure my
card.

I then tried another card in another slot and all was good. "Huh?" I
thought... I then put back my old card in the old slot... problems
again. "Aha" I thought... moved the card to the new position and my LAN
was up'n'running in no time.

--
Martin L. Johansen
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)