On Wednesday 01 Jan 2003 7:17 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Wednesday January 1 2003 07:40 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Java was running correctly under Galeon but not under Mozilla.  I
> > had hoped that this would fix it.  Instead, I now show no plugins
> > for Java or Javascript under either.  The only good thing is that
> > it has confirmed that my problems in Mozilla were caused by this,
> > because now Galeon doesn't work either.
> >
> > I presume there's a link problem.  What should I do now?
> >
> > Anne
>
>    Dunno (?), not quite sure I understand your problems Anne. FWIW,
> the 'Club' Mandrake Sun java rpm has been available for quite some
> time. Updated versions available as soon as Sun releases 'em. I've
> only used them with Mozilla and Konqueror, mostly 99% Konqueror.  I
> only use java to avoid, like with Flash, error or crashes when I go
> to some web pages.

Some sites - like my on-line banking - won't operate without it, so there's no
choice really.

Konqeror continues to function correctly.  Even though I have lost the java
plugins under Mozilla and Galeon.

Looking again at what you wrote originally, I get the same output as you for
the command

ll /usr/bin/java

However, it looks to me as though it has not been added to the path, since
what I get from the next command is:

[root@anne-linux anne]# echo $PATH
/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
[root@anne-linux anne]#

When I installed jre before, according to my notes I had to put a shell script
into etc/profile.d, which defined the Java_Home variable, export it, add
$Java_Home/bin to the path, and export that.  Do I need to do anything like
that?

I'm convinced that Java must be working OK, or Konq couldn't be using it
(unless that is still finding the old install), so my guess is that the
problem is either links or paths.

Can you or anyone help, please?

Anne