On Wednesday January 1 2003 06:36 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

> >  'rpm -Uvh j2re-1.4.1 01-5mdk'  rpm makes java available globally
> > to all apps (browsers too). You do nothin, and can't screw it up
> > ;)
> >
> >  It's available from the Club, or maybe from /unsupported
> > mirrors.
>
> Tom - do you do this as root?
>
> Anne

    Anne, I suppose you're refering to 'rpm-Uvh....    Yes, do it as
root. Just installing the j2re rpm takes care of making the needed
links for you, eg....

 tom$ ll /usr/bin/java
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root     22 Dec 31 19:57 /usr/bin/java ->
/etc/alternatives/java*

   ..... adds jre to your path....
 tom$ echo $PATH
/usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:
/usr/lib/jre-1.4.0_01/bin:/home/tom/bin

   ... and takes care of anything else while it's at it ;) I don't
believe it's even neccesary to uninstall kaffe first, but I always
do.