I would love to try this myself, but I am only a couple of days into linux,
and I can not find out how to deal with the compression format this driver
came in. It seems that in it's default form Mandrake has no knowledge of
what seems to be some kind of gzip/tar combination.

What do I need to deal with that file as downloaded from creative? it's
called sblive-0.2b.tar.gz

I have to use my winbox to grab files at present (while I get Linux pulled
together enough to do it) I then transfer to LS120 disk - and in the first
couple of days I have managed to get linux to see this drive and even copy
the files to the linux partition (where I am keeping these kind of support
files). I can't be far off the right method, because I have managed
(somehow) to install star office this way - but this has me a bit stumped. I
have no clue where to look to find out how to de-compress the file to even
attempt what you outlined - but want to try it.

I am using Mandrake 6.0 Venus - and hopefully 6.1 Helios in next few days
when I can lay hands on it.

Can you suggest an approach please?

Regards,
Ian