bay56 wrote:

> I would love to try this myself, but I am only a couple of days into linux,
> and I can not find out how to deal with the compression format this driver
> came in. It seems that in it's default form Mandrake has no knowledge of
> what seems to be some kind of gzip/tar combination.
>
> What do I need to deal with that file as downloaded from creative? it's
> called sblive-0.2b.tar.gz
>
> I have to use my winbox to grab files at present (while I get Linux pulled
> together enough to do it) I then transfer to LS120 disk - and in the first
> couple of days I have managed to get linux to see this drive and even copy
> the files to the linux partition (where I am keeping these kind of support
> files). I can't be far off the right method, because I have managed
> (somehow) to install star office this way - but this has me a bit stumped. I
> have no clue where to look to find out how to de-compress the file to even
> attempt what you outlined - but want to try it.
>
> I am using Mandrake 6.0 Venus - and hopefully 6.1 Helios in next few days
> when I can lay hands on it.
>
> Can you suggest an approach please?
>
> Regards,
> Ian

Ian....click on your home directory icon on the deskyop or in the Panel
area at the bottom of the desktop.  Navigate to where you put the file
(if you'd downloaded it with Netscape in Linux it would already be in
the directory where the icon opened the window).  Now right click on the
icon representing the sblive-0.2btar.gz file.  Choose Archiver.  A
window showing the contents of the file will open.  Click on the Edit
drop-down menu in that window and choose Extract.  Go back to the file
manager window and right-click the background and choose New View.  Go
to the new window that opens, the contents of the sblive-0.2btar.gz will
be in a new sub directory called package.

Alan