g wrote:

John Richard Smith wrote:

thunk = relay
thunggg = degauss coil

thunk is relay turning on or off.

thunggg is degaussing when power is first applied and should only occur when
power is first applied and it should follow thunk when relay turns power on.

when power turns off, there should be no thunggg because there is no power
to energize degaussing coil.

I'm not sure what you mean by screen out.

disable all 'ss', 'screensaver screens', and all 'es', 'energy saver'
mode, so that there is no 'tux', or 'pipes', or what ever moving objects.

[to me, screensaver is a misnomer. anything that illuminates phosphor
does not save screen] [also, lets stay with single word 'screensaver'
or 'ss'. i have filters set to trap email if it contains 2 separate
words due to virus that was and may still be floating around]
Between you and I , I tend to agree. though I'm not normally fussed
about it.

Isn't that power off, ie power off monitor, everything else is on and
working.This is how I use it most of the time.

when a monitor blanks due to 'set to blank', it depends on how drivers
work. es can be either a single or 2 step process. varies by ability
of video card and drivers.

Now that's an obvious test, I hadn't thought off.

ok. so what happens when at cli? knowing this can help cut trouble
shooting time.
I will do this next , I have to go out for a while, so I'll set the OS
to a root shell and leave it a few hours, come back and watch it a bit more
to see if there are any momentary lapses.

I've just spent an hour
yesterday evening unplugging and replugging everything , and well I want
to see if that makes a difference to stability. So for the moment I need to
allow a bit of time to go by to see whether the problem is going to reappear.

i hope you were neat about it. :)
Yes, not only neat but changed all the multiplugs etc etc I suspect
one may of been  less than ideal, one just gets carried away at times
adding pieces of equipement etc.

I took your advice on board about screen width, and have resized and realigned
the picture so that there is now about a 5 mm black boarder around the picture
on screen. Now that is probably excessive but it will do to test a point.At any
rate there is now no possibility of the picture being "off screen or curled round".

reducing h & v sweep allows you to see edges of sweep and will show if
drivers are set up correctly. all edges should be clean and smooth.
Well, it ain't bad , I do like a decent quality image to work with, so
1280x1024 seems just about good enough, I know other people criticize
these resolutions, but as you get older in life and visual impairments,
for that read glasses, one likes to use a good picture quality.

The edges are straight top and bottom and lefthand side, the right hand
side does have a very faint curve to the bottom righthand side. I'm just
wondering whether in fact some field coil ,of one of the endless transformers
one has to employ powering computer equipement up may be influencing
this a bit so will check that out. The picture seems steady to my eyes, but
my better half say's she can see a slight flicker, bear in mind I'm on
60Hz here, possibly it ough to be 70 Hz. but current drivers don't seem
to offer it. But taken overall I'd say this is not a bad picture at all and I'm
having to push my critique to be critical at all.

By the way, whilst typing this I had a black screen power off and on,
not a degauss. So reducing the picture size didn't of itself do anything.

I haven't mentioned one other thing. Just recently, on shutdown, the
monitor powers off and then turns itself back on again with "no signal"
while the rest of the computer is dead. It does this in all OS's in cluding
windblows. It ought to power off and stay that way until the computer
is switched on again.

this is telling you that monitor is still 'power on'. turning off computer
does not turn power off for monitor. most monitors must have power turned
off by switch to be in 'full power down'.

my monitor, adi microscan 6p, will do same.

when it goes into es mode, it first shows 'dpms | going to off mode',
next it shows 'dpms | going to suspend mode'. this shuts down h & v
circuits, but, there is still power applied by power supply so that
monitor can monitor input from video card.
I think I might of solved it, I changed bios setting,
Power Management/APM set to enable
with
Display Activity set to Monitor, I changed to ignor
after that there
is a whole lot ot IRQ3-15 with similar
choices monitor/ignor which I left alone
I saved and exited, and 4 shutdowns later the
automatic monitor power up after shutdown does seem
to of stopped. I'm guessing that with display set to monitor
it turns the monitor back on in order to fulful some obligation
to a systems monitoring during the computer's power off, but
I 'm only guessing.

thanks,

John

--