g wrote:

> John Richard Smith wrote:
>
>> I will do this next , I have to go out for a while, so I'll set the OS
>> to a root shell and leave it a few hours, come back and watch it a
>> bit more
>> to see if there are any momentary lapses.
>

> this should prove out if you are drawing excess current from ps and
> cause it to shut down.
>
> so switching supplies will recover on their on, some have to be powered
> down, main power switch off, to recover.

OK, so I left the setup on in
ctrl-alt f5 to root shell mode for 3 hours,
came backto a blank black screen,
hit enter and root shell returned.

I then sat and watched for 30 minutes, it goes down
to bios induced blank black screen in about 10 minutes,
but I just keep hitting enter to restore root shell
and keep this up for 30 minutes.

I cannot say I observed any power off and back to root
shell in a few seconds like in desktop, so all that is
happening is that bios APM is doing it's job.
So I'm coming round to the fact that the monitor
is not really up to the screen resolution rates.

Now I actually have this monitor's double, exactly the same make
model etc on another computer,with M8.1, but with
1280x1024  , with 65thousand(16bits) on a riva vid card,and
it is ok. so, I'm going to drop the coulour resolution down
from 24 bits to 16 bits for a while and see whether it
helps,

will report back this evening.

John

--