John Richard Smith wrote:

OK, so I left the setup on in
ctrl-alt f5 to root shell mode for 3 hours,
came backto a blank black screen,
hit enter and root shell returned.

what colour was 'power on' led when you first returned?

what does your manual say about colour indications?

Now I actually have this monitor's double, exactly the same make
model etc on another computer,with M8.1, but with
1280x1024  , with 65thousand(16bits) on a riva vid card,and
it is ok. so, I'm going to drop the coulour resolution down
from 24 bits to 16 bits for a while and see whether it
helps,

lol. i am still waiting for what happens when you drop res.

0230 gmt. are you still up?

peace out.

tc,hago.

.
--
 think green...
    save a tree, save a life, save time, save bandwidth, save storage.