John Richard Smith wrote:

Jerry Barton wrote:

I haven't mentioned one other thing. Just recently, on shutdown, the
monitor powers off and then turns itself back on again with "no signal"
while the rest of the computer is dead. It does this in all OS's in cluding
windblows. It ought to power off and stay that way until the computer
is switched on again.

Mine only does that if i'm using the power cable that hooks to the back of the power supply on the box... when it's plugged into the wall it does what yours is doing. Hmmm? Don't think that's related to your current problem if it's plugged right into the wall. (well depending on the monitor check your specs on it)

My monitor is on a seperate powersupply of it's own directly plugged into
the mains

OK I'm jumping in here really late but I just thought of something. A while back I was having problems where I couldn't get the monitor to quit going to a blank screen after x minutes even with apmd uninstalled and no screensaver. I think it was Stephen who helped me with it and maybe this could possibly be it. Have a look in your BIOS and make sure advanced power management is disabled in there. It didn't do the exact same thing with mine but it was somewhat similar.
Just a thought since no one mentioned it yet. That fixed a couple of wacky things that were going on that I hadn't taken into account at the time. (BTW now that APM is off in my BIOS i have no problems with apm settings run by the OS, though i don't really use them now)

Jerry.

Good thought Jerry, only I more or less have to have bios power managent
enabled, because if I disable it in bios when I shut down the shutdown gets
as far as "power down" in the script, but everything is still running, and as
I don't have a final rocker powerswitch, I cannot turn it finally off. I
suppose I could always enable the keyboard power switch if it really came
to it, but I prefer to have a normal computer power down to a dead box,
all done by the computer itself under the command "Turn off Computer".
However just recently the monitor has taken it upon itself to power on
again with "no signal" , so I manually have to turn the monitor of
by it's own power button, something I didn't to have to do before.

John

Later: I think I found the reason for the monitor turn on and "no signal"
problem.
While checking in bios I noticed ,
Power Management/APM set for enabled (I knew that)
but also,
Display Activity set for monitor I changed it to ignor

there are also IRQ3-15 with
similar monitor/ignor options
which I left alone.

I saved and exited,
and so far 3 shutdowns has resulted in the monitor truly shutting down.

So I'm guessing that as far as "no signal" / auto turnon is concerned
it was the bios turning the monitor back on again in order to fulfill
some obligation in regard to monitoring the status of the computer
while supposedly turned off.

John

--
John Richard Smith