g wrote:

   > a command that i had forgotten because i have not used it
   > in over 12 years, 'setterm'.
   >
   > so you will know, do 'man setterm' to see what goes with it.
   >
   > this is what i want you to enter from cli, before starting x,
   >
   >     setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0
   >
   > this should finalize any software controlling of crt. any
   > blanking, or glitch, should be caused by monitor.
   >
   > start x, disable any screensaver, disable screen blank,
   > disable anything 'green'.
   >
   > if your monitor screen blanks now and comes back up when
   > you move mouse or press a keyboard key, open a terminal
   > and pass 'setterm' again. 'env' may have reset when x
   > started, but it should not.
   >
   > now watch for glitch. 'glitch' is quick power down and
   > back up. not same as screen blanking.
   >
   > if you still have glitch, swap monitors to see what happens.
   >
   > yes, could have done that early on, but glitch your describe
   > sounded more like it is with monitor, not cpu system.
   >

   > this has been one more, 'fun, playing with computers'.
   >
   > htftw. ;)

Interesting ,

went to root terminal login,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0
cannot (un)set powersave mode
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

and so returned to desktop,and in a root terminal,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0
cannot (un)set powersave mode
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

Now, as I read this, we passed a command to set to 0 the time interval to nought, the powersave and powerdown to disable..

If I'm correct , it refused on the powersave issue.

Now some 10-20 minutes later , another blank black screen ,
with a click to desktop when mouse is mouved.

I will now do the same test all over again but with monitor2 the
M8.1 known working one, same make and model  monitor.
The same result, and what is more it goes to blank black screen,
which returns with a click to dektop when mouse is wiggled.

I really need to prolong this some more to see if I get the
involuntary 2 second black screen glitch to desktop,
could take a while,for the moment an open verdict.It's
been 40 minutes now and no 2second glitch, but as I say not
long enough to really tell.

I would welcome your thoughts about the powersave mode question ?

I found this reference to ACPI,

ACPI CA provides a reference implementation of software components
that enable OS support for interfaces defined in the ACPI 1.0b
specification. This includes: AML interpreter and debugger,
Namespace Management, ACPI hardware support, and

"basic OSPM,including a device power management framework".

http://www.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/downloads.htm

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Later,
PS I think that ought to be setterm -powersave off, not 0.
but it has the same result.
John