John Richard Smith wrote:

Now, as I read this, we passed a command to set to 0
the time interval to nought, the powersave and powerdown
to disable..

If I'm correct , it refused on the powersave issue.

you are correct. [see below]

Now some 10-20 minutes later , another blank black screen ,
with a click to desktop when mouse is mouved.

blank screen, and no glitch yet. hmmm.

I will now do the same test all over again but with monitor2 the
M8.1 known working one, same make and model  monitor.
The same result, and what is more it goes to blank black screen,
which returns with a click to dektop when mouse is wiggled.

what version is on 1st system?

also, my forgetfulness again, connect 'glitch' monitor to second
system and let it cook there for a while.

reason, not sure. just want to make sure...

I really need to prolong this some more to see if I get the
involuntary 2 second black screen glitch to desktop,
could take a while,for the moment an open verdict.It's
been 40 minutes now and no 2second glitch, but as I say not
long enough to really tell.

burn, baby, burn. ;)

I would welcome your thoughts about the powersave
mode question ?

a very good question. i had same results, did not mention because i was hoping that you would have a diff response from 'setterm'.

it either is locked out of making a change, or 'powersave' is not
active. i tend to believe it is a lock out.

i am searching for more info as to setterm environment, but as yet,
i have not found anything related.

I found this reference to ACPI,

ACPI CA provides a reference implementation of software components
that enable OS support for interfaces defined in the ACPI 1.0b
specification. This includes: AML interpreter and debugger,
Namespace Management, ACPI hardware support, and

"basic OSPM,including a device power management framework".

http://www.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/downloads.htm

i will check this out after sending this.

peace out.

tc,hago.

.
--
 think green...
    save a tree, save a life, save time, save bandwidth, save storage.