Actually, that was part of it.  The severity is significantly higher at 180 F
when compared to 140.  Also, as was pointed out by the franchise managers,
the cups were softening at 180, and they were concerned that their employees
would be scalded because the cups distorted when they softened, to the point
that the act of holding one would squeeze coffee out over the top if filled
too near the brim.