On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:26:25 -0700
Erylon Hines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> Why the corporation was found to be culpable was because their coffee
> was served too hot.  Why it was served so hot is the interesting part.
>  More cups
> of coffee can be brewed from a pound of ground when the water is set
> to 180 degrees (F) than when set to 140 deg (F).  Managers of the
> restaurant franchises actually complained that the coffee was being
> brewed too hot, because the cups would soften when the coffee was
> poured, and they were worried that their employees were being exposed
> to an unsafe condition.  Documents showed that letters had been
> exchanged between local managers and upper management, and
> essentially, the upper managers had vetoed lowering the brew temps of
> the coffeee because it would effect the "bottom line" -- profits on
> the sale of coffee would be lower.  When the customer was severely
> burned (badly enough to require skin grafts) and subsequently sued,
> the documents were "discovered", and the jury found the upper
> management was at fault because they knew, and in fact had been warned
> on numerous occasions, that the restaurant's policy of brewing coffee
> at 180 degrees (F) was creating an unsafe condition.

wow, thanks for that! so of course once again, the idea that litigious
and greedy citizens are the cause of all the plagues of modern society
is dealt another blow.

lawyers and university professors and the NEA are not ruining the world,
corporate greed is a serious problem itself.

--
Joehill
Registered Linux user #282046