On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:47:37 +0100
Graham Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> According to Roger Scruton, whose lectures I attended many years ago,
> a corporation has the status of a person in law.  This strikes me as
> unfortunate as a corporation, while possessing similar appetites,
> lacks many of the moral characteristics of a person - occasional
> inclinations towards altruism, any sense of fairness - above all, it
> completely lacks a sense of shame. It can, however, afford more and
> better legal help than the average regular person.

Give that man a CIGAR!

If the corporation is protected by the law, it is *bound* by it, ie. it
kills, it is charged with murder and the company officers go to *jail*.

If they pollute, they are charged with criminal negligence and the
corporate officers go to *jail*.

If they steal millions from honest shareholders and pensioners, the
company  officers go to *jail*.

--
Joehill
Registered Linux user #282046